For every single product you buy (online or from any of our stockists), we will now donate a percentage of that sale to Eden, who will plant a tree.
Forests still cover about 30% of the world’s land area, but they are disappearing at an alarming rate. Between 1990 and 2016, the world lost 502,000 square miles (1.3 million square kilometers) of forest, according to the world bank - an area larger than South Africa.
We need trees for a variety of reasons
- They absorb not only the carbon dioxide that we exhale, but also the heat-trapping greenhouse gases that human activities emit.
- Trees provide a habitat for animals, in fact 80% of Earth’s land animals and plants live in forests, and deforestation threatens species including the Orangutan, Sumarian Tiger, and many species of birds.
- Indigenous communities depend on forests for subsistence and income - many of them among the world’s rural poor.
- Healthy forests help to purify water sources, control flooding and erosion and help to replenish the soil with nutrients needed for farming.
We feel that it is vital at this time to each be doing our bit to help save our environment, which is why we have decided to partner with Eden Reforestation Projects, a fantastic non profit organisation who plant millions of trees every year, restoring healthy forests and helping to reduce extreme poverty.
Eden Reforestation Projects have a holistic approach to reforestation and ecological restoration
- Their national leaders partner with villages that are committed to restoring their forests.
- They then hire and train local villagers to plant new trees.
- They plant native tree species.
- The villages protect their new forests because they have a vested interest in them.
- Top tier seedling survival rate - over 80%. Even higher when natural generation is factored in.
Through Eden, as the reforestation effort goes on and with more and more local villagers now with a consistent income so they can provide for their families again, healthy forests are beginning to emerge - and the negative effects of deforestation are beginning to disappear.
So far Eden have planted over 250 million trees around the world in Ethiopia, Madagascar, Nepal, Haiti, Indonesia and Mozambique.
We are delighted to be a part of this. It’s a chance for us as a company and you as our customer, to give something back to the planet.